- Ask for a referral from a colleague or friend – Questions such as: Who did your roof? Did they show up on time? How was their clean up? Were there any unexpected or hidden costs? Is your new roof performing well and is it leak free? Did you have to call the roofing contractor back to get them to finish the job? Did they provide “before” and “after” photos of your project?
- Since most building owners do not go up on their roofs, it’s relatively easy for a roofing contractor to be dishonest. Therefore, ask the following question: “Can you repair my roof?” Many times a small repair can make a big difference. Also, a well maintained roof will last many times longer than one that is ignored. A reputable contractor will first try to repair your existing roof and extend its life. However, you should get at least 3 opinions. If a re-roof is recommended, compare the bids to make sure there is consistency in what the roofing contractor is proposing. Often times, roofing materials vary in price due to their strength and the reputation of the supplier.
- Thoroughly check out the roofing contractor. You want to make sure the contractor you select does quality work. Ask to see a certificate of their liability, automobile, and workers compensation insurances. Ask them how long they have been in business and ask to speak with references who have had at least 10 years of success with a roof installed by that roofing contractor. Check to see that the roofing contractor is a member of professional organizations, such as the Better Business Bureau. Ask the contractor what awards they have won for quality, if any, and what other awards or recognitions they have achieved. You want a contractor who strives for high quality installations.
- Ideally, you will want to make a lasting relationship with your roofing contractor. That way, they can return periodically for routine maintenance and inspections which will save you time, money, and headaches in the future.
- Think of maintaining your roof in the same way that you maintain your body – – with periodic check-ups and reviews.